LET OUR HEARTBREAK BE YOUR LESSON: We lost our sweet, smart, handsome 17-week old puppy on Tuesday morning. He grabbed something along the sidewalk on Saturday, dropped it, and 5 hours later he was sick. Turns out he must have swallowed a piece of what we now know is the “death cap” mushroom (amanita phalloides). Highly toxic to pets and humans.
Please read about them, look out for them - this one showed up in a typical residential California neighborhood. People and pets have been killed by them.
Dogs and cats are attracted to their smell.
If you suspect your pet has eaten a toxic plant or mushroom, the ASPCA 24/7 poison hotline is (888) 426-4435 . They can connect your vet to a toxicologist for help.
If you’re not sure what it is, they will recommend getting an ID from the “Poisons Help; Emergency Identification for Mushrooms and Plants” Facebook group. Experts there can ID it from pictures.
Do not rely on apps for ID. This was misidentified in several apps as something safe. Do not wait it out - little Sal showed no symptoms until it was too late. He spent the next 2 days at an emergency specialty vet clinic and they tried everything, but nothing could save him.
Please, please be extra careful, stay informed, get pet insurance, and hug your pets a little closer tonight. .
#dogs #cats #mushrooms #germanshepherd #puppy #staffy #labrador #dog #doggo #cat #dogsofinstagram #dogsofinsta #puppylove #puppylife #dogtraining #sheprador #salthepuppy #shepherd #shepherdmix #cutepuppies #pup #puppies #puppiesofinstagram #puppers #brokenheart